Location: 4th Floor
Study Materials • Free Registration Booklets
Other Equipment • Language, Literacy & ESL Services
Computer Classes • GED Classes
• Study materials for GED, SAT, TOEFL, ASVAB
• Mavis Beacon CD-ROM for learning and improving keyboarding skills
• Other academic tests, civil service, and individual examinations.
• Visit www.afpls.org/ecampus for online learning resources.
Free Registration Booklets
Test preparation books are available for the following:
Other available equipment & materials
• CCTV - for persons with low vision
• VCR, DVD player and Monitor - for viewing of videos and dvds found in the department's Reference Collection
• Educational videotapes
Back to top
Language & Literacy Services
• English as a Second Language - ESL classes are offered during the week. For class days and times, please call 404.730.1940.
• Adult Literacy Services - Adults, if you need help with improving your basic reading skills, we match volunteer tutors with adult learners. Adults are matched based on the time availability of tutors.
Classes meet in the Learning and Career Center, 4th Floor of the Central Library downtown. Registration is not required. See directions to Central Library by MARTA or car.
For other English as a Second Language classes in metro Atlanta (including at AFPL's Sandy Springs, Roswell & Northeast/Spruill Oaks locations) contact your local branch.
Computer Classes for Adults
Free introductory computer classes for the general public are offered. Click here for the May computer class schedule.
Classes offered include:
• Computer Basics
• Windows Basics
• Internet Basics
• Word Basics
• Formatting in Word
• Introduction to E-mail
• E-mail Attachments
• Excel Intro
• PowerPoint Intro
• Publisher Intro
• Job Resource Lab
Back to top
GED Classes are offered at the Central Library, Adamsville/Collier Heights, East Point, Fairburn, and Ponce de Leon branches through a partnership with the Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System, Adult Learning Center (APS), and Youth Enhancement Service, Inc. A valid state ID is needed for placement into these classes. Please click on GED classes at Central for the days when new students may come for class placement and to find information about the days and times of classes and new student class registration requirements. Call the GED Information Line at 404.730.1837. For testing information, contact Rick Wright, GED Chief Examiner at 404.730.1733.
The GED Test is administered at the Central Library, College Park and Roswell branches. Please click on the GED Testing Schedule of Central Library, Roswell Branch, and College Park Branch to find the registration and GED testing dates. Click on GED Testing registration requirements for the cost of the test, age requirements and information you will need to bring with you. For more information call 404.730.1733 or 404.730.1837.
Back to top